A Dog’s Day Part Two

To catch you up – Dave found a rez dog and brought him home.  He was in bad shape ….our story picks up at the first vet visit.

Dave returns from the vet with the rez dog and a lot of meds.  The most touching thing about the first vet visit was that a man heard Dave talking to the reception of how he found the dog and this stranger paid our first vet bill.  Dave said no because he found the dog and knew the responsibility that comes along with it; the man smiled and said, “Please, let me do this.  It is so cool you picked him up, it’s the least I can do.”  People can be so cool.

We had been keeping him in my daughter’s playhouse because we didn’t know what illness he might be suffering from and we needed to keep our other three dogs and two cats away from him.  The vet gave him a non-contagious bill of health.  That was good news.  The vet was very concerned by the ball of ?? on his neck.  Surgery was scheduled.

He continued living in the playhouse.  He was skittish, nervous and looked horrible.  We had to hydrate him a couple of times a day.  It was painful to watch him go to the bathroom as he could barely stand.  He was terrified of people and tolerated the dogs and cats.  Max, our other rez dog, was so good to him.  He would approach slowly, lick him and leave.  It was a beautiful thing to watch.

There were days when I really think this animal was deciding between life and death.  His pain was unbearable; you could literally see it in his eyes.  The pain he endured, both physical and mental, were way beyond anything I have ever witnessed first hand.  It was so sad.  Dave would spend hours cuddling him even though the dog was not fond of it, he tolerated it.  I think that is part of the reason that this dog chose life.  Dave is amazing.


When he had enough strength, we took him for his first dog walk with the new family.  We take our dogs for walks on a nearby mountain so they can frolic in the forest.  It was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever witnessed.  He jumped out of the truck and hid under the first tree he saw.  He looked so sad and forlorn; as if he was saying, thanks, it was a good run.  We had Max get him from out of the underbrush and the walk began.  He would not pass a human for fear of getting hit.  He would not run with the other dogs until over halfway through the walk.

When he figured out no one was going to hit him and he wasn’t just foraging for food, he rather enjoyed his walk-just-for-fun.  I think I fell for him during that walk.  When we returned to the truck, he hid under the bush again; hot and thirsty.  We brought him water and he looked SHOCKED.  He couldn’t believe his luck.  A walk and water!!! GET OUT!  We had to pick him up to get him into the truck.

He was getting stronger.  He was getting healthier.  The days to come….were a lot rougher than anyone could have guessed…….


  1. Patricia (@Exit178) on November 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm

    Okay, I’m so crying reading this and love you guys for what you have done. (((HUGS)))

  2. Bridget Willard on November 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm


Leave a Comment