If you know me, you know I love a good adventure……even more than an adventure, I love a great ghost story.  Auto glass repair and replacement don’t have a lot of ghosts unfortunately so I have to go out and look for them…….or do I???????

Customer:  WHAT THE HECK?  MY BACK GLASS SHATTERED while I WAS DRIVING! (insert sunroofs, doors, vents, and quarter glass)

Karen or myself:  WOW!  Scary stuff!  Are you okay?

Customer:  YES but it was so weird.  NOTHING hit it.  NOTHING AT ALL!

Karen or myself:  That is weird!!!!!!!

And so go the calls of Adventure Auto Glass…….

People want to REALLY know why their glass in their car shatters with no apparent reason.  Well, I have good news and I have bad news……..I can tell you why and UNFORTUNATELY, there are no ghosts involved.  Alright, I know, I know…..I was hoping for some good scary stuff too.  Drat.

Okay kids, sit down, grab a choice frosty beverage and let’s get down to what is causing crazy exploding glass.

Hey! You in the back – get your beverage – we weren’t kidding…..

Exploding Auto Glass 101:

Your car or truck has two types of glass in it.  The type that explodes on “it’s own” is called Tempered Glass.  Tempered glass is used because if it breaks it won’t break into crazy jagged shards to cut you.  Instead, if it breaks it will break into a million little balls of love that will not cut you.  BONUS!  Another reason auto manufacturers use tempered glass instead of “regular” glass in your car or truck is that it is four to five times stronger than standard glass.  BONUS #2!  Because of these two reasons, many people refer to tempered glass as safety glass.

Another fun fact is the thermal process in which tempered glass is cured makes it heat resistant.  You know that carafe of coffee in your automatic coffee machine?  Tempered glass.  How about that piece of glass in your oven?  Tempered.  Your computer screen, door windows, tub enclosures, shower doors, and skylights are also made of tempered glass.  It’s everywhere!  Almost like ghosts……but I digress…..

Now the mystery.  MAN, I am really bummed out that I have to be the one to tell you this.  You know when that back glass just mysteriously broke?  Well, it was probably hit by something….just not right then….one of the groovy things about tempered glass is it will withstand a lot of abuse but it remembers it and stresses under the abuse.  It may not crack at the moment of impact but the stress continues to play until the defect erupts.  Hence EXPLODING GLASS IN YOUR CAR!   Make sense?  Yeah, it does to us too.  But if you want to believe it JUST BROKE, then by golly, who are we to say otherwise?

Well, rock on friends.  Our advice?  Get tinting.  If your tempered glass breaks the tint will hold it in place and save a lot of vacuuming!  🙂

Check out our some of our other blog posts

Build the Ultimate Survival Kit for Your Car!

Driving in the Snow: 5 Tips from Arizona Drivers

119 Comments

1. Lulu Ceillam on May 11, 2015 at 1:52 pm

2 days ago my son was out playing with a group of friends and suddenly a neighbour car reer window went. all 5 kids said they didnt do it but my son being singled out by neighbour saying he done it and they want money. my son has sworn down it weren’t him even to police. how can we prove its not and like the kids say it just exploded even my 7yr old goddaughter was startled by it just going.
    🙂

• adventureautoglass on May 18, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Aw Lulu, I’m so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do. Unless your child was actually seen by the neighbor, there isn’t much they can do either.

• Roger E Carmichael, BSME on June 3, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Were ALL the car windows closed, was the car in the sun and
      what was the outdoor temperature? IF it was a hot day> in the 90s
      and the car was closed up, exposed to solar energy at 1KW/Sq.M
      then the rear window autoglass probably reached a temp near 172*F
      wherein impurities w/in the glass changed phase, expanding from a
      face centered cubic molecular structure to a body centered structure
      instantly shattering the already stressed tempered auto glass

• adventureautoglass on June 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Excellent questions and points! Thank you!

• Amill on July 26, 2017 at 4:30 am

Ok.. that makes sense BUT this has happened to me twice in 2 months smh 2nd time was yesterday! And i dnt knw what to do smh did something hit the same window twice? Is it something in the door or installed wrong? I am in HotLanta and i did keep my windows up because bugs could get in.. but come on.. i just got a new window 2 months ago and that same one.. rear.. just shatters!??

• jae on September 9, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Where is hotlanta ? in riverside ca ? if so same thing happened to me.

• D.Enlow on July 31, 2019 at 3:57 pm

My toyota rave 2015 back window was shattered. The car is not driven much only 3,600 miles. I don’t understand. I own several different car’s this is the first. Toyota to blame or the heat?

• Clayton R Bayne on April 21, 2016 at 2:52 am

The question should be asked. Is the same process of making glass for Cars the same? What’s the process in making Glass for Cars and Why are we now hearing this Phenomena now?

• adventureautoglass on April 28, 2016 at 5:26 pm

It’s not a new phenomena. It’s happened since glass has been in cars with a closed roof. A customer had asked a specific question, so I did some research and wrote this blog. The process is the same but glass is always moving. It’s imperfect and always reacting to heat and cold. Thanks for stopping by. Hope that helps.

• Percy L. Holmes on September 20, 2017 at 8:34 pm

I was going to work early Monday morning on September 18, 2017 and I had my sunroof up and it was around 72 degree. I back in to park and let my sunroof down, turn my engine off, got out my car and went to the driver passenger side to get my backpack and lunchpack. I close my door and all of a sudden I hear a LOUD bang like a 44 have gone off. I felt the impact and start feeling my chest and stomach to see if I were shot. I look to see if someone were shooting at me and as I came back to reality I heard cracking sound from my rear window that has exploded. Lucky all my windows were tinted in my 2014 Chevy Impala 2LTZ cause the glass were intact except the corners and had a thousand pieces of fine glass on my cab and trunk. Man I thought I were a goner….

• Eric Ellis on December 19, 2017 at 12:35 am

This just happened to me tonight! I drive a 2014 chevy impala ltz. I thought it was a gun shot. I was sitting in the car waiting for my car to warm up a little with the defroster on. It startled me so bad that I jumped out the car.

• Ronni on December 30, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Dec 23 lift back glass on Tucson exploded.

• Cathy on April 18, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Driver side window of 2016 Chevy Trax busted today, was about to drive off and I heard a loud bang, scared me so much I immediately called the police, they arrived quickly and they removed the broken glass. I have no other experience explanation.

• Uaer on July 3, 2019 at 7:35 am

I am in atlanta so same thing happened to me yesterday and that’s really scary.

• pat on December 12, 2019 at 9:41 am

My granson drives a newer chevy impala, his back window mysteriously blew out while parked in his driveway two months ago. Last night, driving on his way home from work, the back side passenger window shattered while driving!! Is their a defect in the glass?

2. Fred Yontz on August 8, 2015 at 2:13 am

Today’s (08/07/15) ABC World News Tonight program segment about exploding auto window glass, showed some instances of window glass exploding onto people in the car. I seriously doubt they were in a car closed up to 172*F, or closed up enough for the glass to reach that temperature… that would singe your skin if you touched it.

(I’m still leaning toward the glass gremlins hypothesis: they just really want to get out.)

• adventureautoglass on August 12, 2015 at 10:41 pm

HA! LOVE IT. It’s a tough one to answer. Every instance is different – I’m sorry I missed the news – will look it up!!! Thanks for the great post!

3. sol on August 22, 2015 at 6:05 pm

My husband’s Tesla’s passenger window shattered last night, some time in the middle of the night, with the car parked in a closed garage and no way for anyone to get it. We are glad it didn’t happen a few hours before when we were all in the car. Our car is in San Francisco, so the air temperature is not warm. Now we are out to deal with this!

4. Stan Peel on August 31, 2015 at 11:35 pm

My Honda van side view mirror exploded on my way home for no apparent reason. There no damage to car body or the back of the mirror. The glass is shattered, that’s all the damage there is except it did separate from the body and was hanging down by its wires.

• adventureautoglass on September 1, 2015 at 7:57 pm

That was exciting I’m sure! Sorry to hear that – good news, if you have glass coverage – it’s COVERED!

5. Kim on October 22, 2015 at 8:54 pm

My Hyundai Tuscon side passengers window exploded today. Several witnesses , myself included, because we were at the school for pick up. Temp in the mid 60’s so not hot or cold.

Prior to this, my car was in my driveway all day.

Not only did the window explode, there was a whole in the center of it, as if something went through it.

Strangest thing ever.

• adventureautoglass on October 23, 2015 at 11:30 pm

It is! It’s scary too!

• Danny on May 15, 2016 at 3:59 am

Your comments are hilarious btw

• adventureautoglass on June 10, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Why thank you! We try to be witty. Life is too short not to be witty.

• urmom on April 28, 2017 at 9:38 pm

/are you sure that hole wasn’t from the transit of a projectile (e.g. a bullet)

6. Tony r on January 17, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I was driving Sr. 94 west bound @ 650 pm Jan 16 2016 a very loud bang at my rear right side window
    Shattered thank you Jesus mom ok
    86 year old shaken la Mesa California highway patrol respond
    Fairly quickly found no bullets or rocks in the truck I love my 2006 Honda Ridgeline 186000 miles
    Mom shattered nerves she’s ok
    Dad 94 at ke front ok
    In quest how it shattered Sr 94 busy
    And lots of speedsters

7. Johnny on January 20, 2016 at 2:00 pm

On 12/28/2015, I had my rear window replaced on my 2013 Toyota Tundra because it shattered while I was driving the day before. Well yesterday (1/19/2016), as I was about to leave the gym I got into my truck and as I closed my door the rear window broke and shattered to pieces. I closed my door like I normally do, no slamming of the door or anything like that, just a casual close. The original rear window I believe was temper glass and tinted. The replacement (now broken) window was the same as well. Could this be a quality issue or error on the company that replaced my rear window?

• adventureautoglass on January 21, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Interesting. If this were me I would most certainly ask the company who replaced it to look at it – leave the window in (if possible) so they can check the workmanship. It’s hard to say without seeing it. If it was a workmanship issue, the shop should warranty it. If not, they should be able to show you why it broke.

8. Jessica Radcliffe on January 28, 2016 at 3:08 am

My rear window broke tonight. Sounded as if it was smashed but can’t find what did it. Now wondering if it exploded. There was a hole and it shattered. My kids were in the van while I was putting air in a tire. Kids are shook up still as am I.

9. Juanita Patterson on March 22, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Hey i heard on news about the real window exploding I have a MKX 2016 and the same thing happened I thought somebody had broke it I was indoors it was cold and I started the remote starter and when I went outside my window exploded in the rear don’t know who to talk to.

• adventureautoglass on March 22, 2016 at 3:55 pm

You have the right to choose any glass shop to fix that for you.

10. Lisa on March 22, 2016 at 11:35 pm

My Yukon was parked on lot at work, other cars parked around it. We heard a huge bang, went outside and my passenger window had blown out, glass was pushed outward with large hole. The lot was monitored by a camera so we went back to the tape frame-by-frame and you can see the camera shake from the loud bang and the hole appears, nobody was near it, nothing appeared to fly into it. It was a pleasant 70 degree day. The dealer thinks I am nuts, said that never happens and it was probably a rock or golf ball. It was so loud indoors and enough to shake the cameras cannot imagine if I were standing near it. I am baffled and a little freaked out.

11. Dana on March 22, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Today I was driving and my passenger side window exploded. It was like a pop/boom as it shattered. We didn’t see or hear ANYTHING hit the car just like a popping sound as it shattered.

12. Anneke Johnson on May 3, 2016 at 3:37 am

I had a tiny small Starburst crack in the lower right passenger side of my truck that had been there since I bought it 3 years ago. It’s been parked outside the entire time hot cold no matter what it did fine. Last week my rearview mirror fell off and so I took it to the shop to have it put back on. They did the work on Thursday the truck was fine when I picked it up. It was out in the driveway and I was out of town overnight Sunday came back Monday after work and the entire windshield was shattered around the starburst and cracked all the way from the rearview mirror around the whole passenger side of the window. Is it possible that replacing the mirror could have caused this? The mirror was again lying on the floor of the truck and it seemed odd to me because the small Starburst was a very long ways away from the rearview mirror but the crack extended all the way around the passenger side of the truck to the center and then there was shattering around where the starburst had been.

• adventureautoglass on May 3, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Without seeing the damage it’s hard to say. You may want to take it back to who replaced the mirror and ask – or take pics of it and send it to them. That is CRAZY!

• Zanele Uzor on November 18, 2019 at 2:57 pm

I rushed to the shopping centre nearby to buy bread for my children after work, when I came out my back Jeep Cherokee window was scattered all over People around in their cars said no one even passed by it

I thank God, not a person was inside. Everyone was just scared

13. Cee on May 6, 2016 at 5:23 am

This happened to me today on the freeway. I was driving then boom my window exploded out of nowhere.

• adventureautoglass on May 12, 2016 at 6:27 pm

It can be incredibly scary!

• J. Travis on March 6, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Exactly what happend to me.glass spilled into my lap. Was not injured, just scared.

14. Doug on May 8, 2016 at 9:05 am

Happened to me tonight, doing a favor for a friend and driving his Lexus 300 (350? I’m no expert). Rear window exploded, into a matrix of a million pieces which pretty much fell apart after the next bump. Of particular interest, was finally doing hiway speed after 45 minutes of mountain-hiway curves at the posted limits—at which you could feel the strain of each curve. Altitude change was from sea level to 2500′ then back to sea level, and the temp varied from 65 to 52F.

15. Charles on May 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I just want to know if these glasses get expired. Because a friend of mine told me if the glasses also gets expired, it explodes by itself. Mine has just exploded. * headache here because I have budgeted for that*

• adventureautoglass on June 10, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Well, our answer? Does glass expire? I guess, technically, if it explodes, it’s expired. Before that. No. Glass does not have a time limit.

16. Marty Lampner on June 4, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Driving my two month old Kia, sitting at a red light. Heard what seemed to be a small caliber shotgun blast. Look behind me and my rear window has a hole in it and is slowly disintegrating. Dealer is seeming receptive to replace it, but wow. I have been driving for more than 42 years and the first time I have ever seen this. The driver behind me is completely freaked out.

• adventureautoglass on June 10, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Holy sweet mother of all that is good and holy – that is scary. Pictures?

17. Shen on June 26, 2016 at 2:13 am

My window was just shattered. Today the heat index was 109 here in TN. I looked to see if something hit it or someone tried to break into my car but it was a clean shatter, no holes or anything. I did have all my windows cracked to keep out the heat, so I’m a little afraid and upset that someone could have tried to slide the window down….I’m hoping it was the heat. What do you think?

• adventureautoglass on July 21, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Most probable, it was hit previously and then the heat took it out.

18. Richard Myers on July 24, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I was in Arizona when the actual temperature in the shade was 135 degrees Fahrenheit (1972/73). The local television people in Tuscon filmed coffee boiling in a styrofoam cup sitting on the dash (platform) in a dark car. They joked it looked like soda but it was boiling! (212 degrees) motorcyles were caving through blacktop and windsheilds in parking lots were explosing all over the Tuscon/ Phoenix area. The airforce threw an egg on a fighter jet and it was all cooked before it could run off the wing. Why are you dissing the idea that windshields can spontaneously explode? The sales records of your own industry prove that it can happen. A joking comment said 172 degrees could do it but people wouldn’t be in a car that hot. I’m confused. 101 degrees yesterday left a woman with 3rd degree burns just getting into the car. Seems that 3 pennies dropped in the seat did it. Passive solar gain in an automobile can be lethal. AC isn’t running while you are shopping or at work. I’ve seen a side window “exlpode” on a new van parked at home (in Arkansas) and It doesn’t get as hot as Arizona! Is this industrial “damage control”? Or scientific reality? Sincerely Concerned

• adventureautoglass on August 5, 2016 at 10:45 pm

We totally love conspiracy theories but it’s really what we said – probably got hit by a rock earlier and just got “tired” and blew. I really, really, really wish it was more mystical or conspiratorial!

19. Bob Montgomery on August 10, 2016 at 9:46 pm

While driving my new 2016 Thor Motor Coach Ace 29.3 motorhome I heard a pop/explosion in the side window next to me. I actually thought someone had shot the window out and quickly checked to see if I had been shot or a bullet had gone through the other side. I sounded like a 9mm hand gun had gone off next to my head. There were no cars next to me when this happened in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive 42 miles to my RV dealer. The warranty gal didn’t believe I hadn’t been hit by a rock by a passing car but there was no passing car. They couldn’t fix it as it is a special window and had to be ordered. She said call my insurance company (I did) but after thinking about it I called Thor Motor Coach Warranty Division directly and they said to put in a warranty claim.

Well, one way or another it will be replaced. Either under warranty or my paying a $50 deductible through my insurance company.

• adventureautoglass on August 11, 2016 at 12:32 am

Thank goodness for glass coverage. What a scary experience – who needs coffee when glass is exploding by your ear. We are glad you are okay!

20. Sonja Powell on September 12, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Went the the car wash today I have a Acura 3.5 Rl “1998” I had cracks in my windshield for years back this past winter or spring I hit a pothole my windshield cracked a bit more where I could feel air come through just a bit . Saturday afternoon looked outside and my windshield was shattered with a good size whole on the middle like someone busted it out I thought who would do this you here about kids doing theses things but it was so strange only mine was bust out in my neighborhood I’m a friendly person get along with any and everyone else I don’t gossip nor talk about people this is what confuses me on this matter possibly after the car wash it did something to my windshield to cause this to happen it really has upset me thinking why would someone do this to me I’m almost paranoid now looking and watching everywhere . I wish I could post picture so you could see..

• adventureautoglass on September 12, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Sonja, there is so much going on in this post, I don’t even know where to start. The good news – you can’t feel air coming through a windshield. Google how windshields are made so you can feel confident the air you felt wasn’t through the windshield – if it was. . . you shouldn’t be driving your car until it’s replaced. As far as your feelings of paranoia, we can’t help you with that because no one in our shop has a pysch degree. We hope you made a police report and got your windshield fixed! “Rock” on.

• Sonja Powell on September 13, 2016 at 12:51 am

Lol omg I know that sound bad but the crack wasn’t that bad I thought never had a crackdown windshield before it was close to the dash board area. Getting windshield fix tomorrow am. Well the paranoid part is lol it’s scary to think someone would want to do this to you. Thanks for your reply . Take care..👍🏽

• Sonja Powell on September 13, 2016 at 12:52 am

My reply was even worst ..sorry what it was suppose to say is I have never had a cracked windshield before..

• adventureautoglass on September 23, 2016 at 5:25 pm

You made us laugh! Thank YOU! Glad you got it fixed!

21. Sue on October 1, 2016 at 5:31 pm

It tempered glass isn’t suppose to cut you, then maybe you explain why I got 2 piece of tempered glass from my drive side window embedded in my left hand, I was in a car accident and was hit on my driver side. I had to have the pieces surgically removed. Tempered glass maybe all it’s cracked out be but in my experience it’s not. I am still going through physical therapy to get use of my hand.

• adventureautoglass on October 7, 2016 at 7:46 pm

It shouldn’t cut you if “under normal circumstances” it breaks. Embedding in your skin when an accident occurs is a totally different animal than if a weed whacker hits it and it shatters. Sorry to hear this. Accidents are an entirely different animal than what I talked about in this article.

22. Samantha on October 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

2006 Town & Country back glass shattered this morning. Got in the van at 7:40 this morning to go to my son’s football game, closed the passenger door & the glass shattered. 60 degrees outside & foggy.

• adventureautoglass on October 7, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Who needs coffee when that happens. We are so sorry to hear that.

23. Dominic granado on October 3, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I have a 2004 Chevy trail blazer ls my rear right side window shattered. As i roll it down at a certain moment it starts to make a weird scratchy noise as if it were scraping and when i roll it back up it scrapes in the exact spot. Then if I open the door with the window down it sounds as if its going to break. Eventually it ended up exploding on a passenger that opened it with the window down. Any idea of what it could be! It’s happened twice already. 🙁

• adventureautoglass on October 7, 2016 at 7:43 pm

The scratching sound is more than likely sand in the felt or fabric that is between the glass – that is why you are hearing noise and seeing scratches. Dust and dirt collect there over time. As for why it exploded, without seeing the car it’s hard to say.

24. Jeff on October 11, 2016 at 12:40 am

I was driving my 60 year old mother home after thanksgiving dinner at my home. It was 2 degrees celsius so not too cold (I’m canadian) but I had the heat on for my mother. It was a quiet evening without traffic and small sparkling snow had started falling just as we turned at a seven eleven.

All of a sudden I heard a loud “POP” and looked over to my mother’s side of the vehicle. The front passenger window was shattered with a large hole in the center. Thinking I had been the victim of vandalism I immediately pulled a u turn and sped back to the scene. Nothing out of the ordinary so I investigated the area for signs of foul play. I found the spot on the street littered with temper glass. I scanned the area for rocks or bb pellets, any kind of projectile that could have broken my window.

I did notice one odd thing though… there was more glass than I expected on the road. As if the window had been broken from the inside. An object thrown at the window would have pushed the glass in and would have been on the road or in the vehicle.

After some homework I have discovered this phenomenon is more common than I would have guessed. It just would have been nice to know exactly what happened or who to blame :p

25. Bri Lee on November 14, 2016 at 1:46 am

Between the hours of 12:30am & 7:00am the glass in the hatchback of my SUV had exploded!! I woke up this morning around 7:15am to discover, that the rear window of my 03′ Chevy Trail Blazer had COMPLETELY “vanished”. It had been such a clean break that it actually took me a few seconds to realize that the window was really not there.. & that what part of what was left of my window had been lying in the driveway behind my SUV. Needless to say, I had immediately panicked & called my local police. Long story short, it was absolutely NOT vandalism (thankfully!!), but had been simply that of a phenomenon. In fact, the police officer who’d came out, had told me: about a month ago, the back window of his cruiser had exploded unexpectedly as well! (which I vaguely remember a family friend telling me about, who also works on the local force). He explained that, this situation is in fact, not that uncommon. He also mentioned that in his 24 years of service he’s of course seen hundreds of busted, and broken windows, however; of those same cases, a number of them had been this same type of phenomenon. So crazy!

• adventureautoglass on November 17, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Great story! Thanks for contributing Bri Lee! You made my day!

26. Sarah on November 28, 2016 at 12:42 am

I have and 2007 H3 Hummer. My rear glass I found shattered this morning while at church I thought someone hit it. After driving like a snail. I discovered it happened at home in the drive way. It was not like that last night when removing groceries. We live in haxtun colorado where it was below freezing last night. No sign of a point of impact. Needless to say I am none to thrilled.

• adventureautoglass on November 29, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Not a great way to start a Sunday for sure. 🙁 So sorry to hear about your loss.

27. Gazza on December 14, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Exploding glass phenomena from down under. My Nissan UD farm truck which spends most of the time parked in a shed with other equipment has suffered a mysterious breakge of one of its side pop out vent windows fitted in the cab behind the door. This is a pretty isolated place with no one around or anything else that could have shattered it, spooky stuff.

Anyhow it’s pretty easy to replace with just a hinge and latch so one is on order from the truck wrecker yard.

28. Amy Caroline Exum on December 28, 2016 at 8:58 pm

This just happened to me last night. Didn’t even know it was a thing. I was backing out of a parking place, looking over my right shoulder to see if my path was clear, and then heard a loud pop to my left, looked over and my drivers side glass was shattered. I thought I had perhaps been shot at, but no. Just good old fashioned, for no darn good reason glass exploding. Glad to know it’s an actual thing that happens to other people though, because I was really freaked out. This is also my new car after having a bad car accident earlier this month, so the car gods seem to have it in for me.

• adventureautoglass on January 5, 2017 at 11:09 pm

Holy cats! That is crazy. No, you certainly are not alone. Sorry it happened so soon after an accident! Scary!

• jlynn on January 6, 2017 at 3:17 pm

It happened to my daughter who has a 2005 Pontiac Vibe on 1/5/17. Car was parked and running and she had the rear defrost on and back window just shattered. She thought someone had shot it or thrown something, of which neither happened. Just glad she wasn’t driving which could have easily caused an accident.

29. Jayne Ward on January 17, 2017 at 4:03 am

I have never heard of this happening before but today it happened to us. We had a rental Kia and today driving down the interstate the drivers side back seat window exploded onto my daughter. There was no sound like anything had hit it just explosion. She had cuts all over her since she was wearing shorts. I shutter to think what could have happened if she just happened to be looking out the window when it did this. This is just very scary.

• adventureautoglass on January 17, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Oh Jayne, I am so sorry to hear this – it had to be so scary.

• Dave on July 16, 2017 at 3:49 am

Interesting that two of the newest cars this has happened to are Kias. I have a 2014 Hyundai Sonata, and yesterday the side window cracked, with no evidence of external force being applied. It was just sitting in my driveway. It was a hot day, above 90F, and the windows were closed. I think when people report the windows blowing out when driving, it’s because of the Venturi effect. In my case the glass fragments were still in the shape of the window.

30. Vijay choudhary on April 5, 2017 at 3:53 am

Hey there, I was driving home yesterday evening the usual way that I do..just then as if some has smashed my driver side rear looking mirror into shards…apparantly there was nobody close to the car…i thought someone had thrown a cricket ball or stone accidently and hence the result…i rolled down the driver side window to check but nothing there .I pulled up the window and kept moving ahead..i hab barly travelled 100 metres and bang the driver side window just blasted .I was not injured but shaken.the glass all over my lap feet and widow pockets…i put the ignition off for some time wondering what was happening to me…there was no explanation…same driving conditions and i I was driving this maruti suzuki wagon-r for 12years now .there was no such thing till now..

• adventureautoglass on April 5, 2017 at 9:43 pm

It was probably hit sometime ago and finally gave. We know how scary it can be! We are glad you are alright!

31. PETER AKPORUBARE on April 27, 2017 at 2:13 pm

One of our company vehicle side glass just got chattered without any evidence of external impact. the vehicle is Toyota Hiace bus. what do you think is the cause of this occurrence.

32. Joe Safdie on June 18, 2017 at 9:43 pm

This is a long thread stretching out over two years, and now it will stretch a little further. I was driving my wife’s brand new Audi3 home to southern California from Yellowstone Park last week, and about ten miles north of Blackfoot, Idaho, the passenger’s side window just exploded . . . for no reason at all that I could hear or see. The only thing even slightly weird about it was that we had been diverted from construction into a one-lane road, and the traffic going the other way was pretty close to me, and the window shattered when a big 18-wheel truck had passed me going the opposite direction. But still, I didn’t hear a pop, like the rock that occasionally dings the windshield — the glass just exploded, and I was still pulling pieces of it out of my ear for another five miles down the road. Was it some kind of weird wind shear effect?

My insurance will handle it, but I’m going to press for the Audi dealership to cover it under warranty . . . I just don’t understand how something like that can happen without some kind of defect. If anyone has any supporting thoughts, I’d love to hear them, and thanks for the existence of this tread!

• adventureautoglass on July 19, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Sorry to hear that Joe. In all actuality, something probably hit it previously and then father time kicked in and BAM! That is the mysterious world of tempered glass. Glad you have it covered.

33. Pat Man on August 10, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Thank you for having this web site to make us all feel a little bit better and possibly explain why car windows randomly EXPLODE! Parked my 2003 Toyota Echo in garage, like I always do, window was fine. 2 days later I go out to my attached garage and the driver’s side window is gone! Glass on the front seat and pieces on the ROOF of the CAR, how did glass get up there on the roof??? No gremlins? Must of been some kind of explosion. I will get tinting asap.

34. Kathy on August 17, 2017 at 5:26 am

I removed groceries from the back of my 2017 Kia Sportage at 11:30 am on 8/16/2017. Went out to go to work at 9:45 pm and as I put my bag in the backseat and closed the door, I heard a weird noise. When I went behind the car and looked for the noise with a flashlight, there was glass all over the driveway behind the car and pieces of my back window had fallen inside as I had shut the door. I did not slam the door, just closed in normally. There was no reason for the window to bust, no one had been around all day and I live on top of a hill. It had rained a little while before but nothing inside the car was wet, so it hadn’t been done long. Now I’m wondering if the warranty will cover the replacement cost since it’s not even a year old and wasn’t busted by someone else. The glass looks shattered around the edges too, not just in the middle, or all over.

• Bob Butterfield on September 11, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I just had the same thing happen on my Silverado . I closed my drivers door and poof my back glass is gone. Chevy issued a recall in March of 2015 on this for the exact reason. My truck was not produced until June of 2015. It is almost impossible for a rock to be kicked up off the road and damage my rear window.

I am currently searching for more answers so I don’t have to pay for a window that I did nothing to.

35. Bob Butterfield on September 11, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Maybe you can explain to me then why Chevy had a recall in March of 2015 on their rear windows. Yes, Chevy recalled their tempered glass windows because they were just shattering either while the trucks were being driven down the road or when owners closed their doors the glass shattered from the inside out.

So the theory of something chipping or damaging a back window really makes no sense. There is no way for a rock to come back at my back window as I am going down the road.

• adventureautoglass on September 15, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Hello Bob. I totally understand your frustration. As you know, We are an auto glass shop, therefore, we try to give information to the most common problems. If your truck’s glass was recalled, you should be able to take it to a dealer and have reinstalled with no cost to you. It sounds like they had an “oopsie” in the plant. In this case, you are right – it’s not a case of a rock or debris. We agree with you. I would contact GM right away to get my new glass installed! Good luck – let us know if you learn anything new! Thanks for the comments! Always appreciated.

36. auto mobile History on December 19, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Wow! Finally I got a website from where I can really take
    valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.

37. Carson on January 24, 2018 at 6:02 am

I do agree with all the ideas you have presented in your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for starters. Could you please extend them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

38. Adrien Sheldon on May 19, 2018 at 5:00 pm

While driving my 2013 Ford escape @55 mph on the Eway today, the dreaded rear passenger window exploded. Not a car in sight around us. No trucks nothing…. I literally thought someone shot at us but there was no one to do so. I’m glad my children weren’t in the car two carseats would have been full of glass. Just wanted to drop my 2 cents. Of course Ford has no recalls…

• Adventure Autoglass on May 21, 2018 at 10:20 am

Oh man! Unfortunately this is more common than you might think, but still just as frustrating. Likely there was an unnoticed, preexisting chip that finally had enough pressure and burst in one go. It’s terrifying when it does happen though. Glad you are safe and no children were there when it happened! Thanks for your input Adrien!

39. Melanie on June 3, 2018 at 2:45 pm

This happened to me yesterday driving down the interstate. Rear passenger window just exploded for no reason. Did not appear to be hit by something. 2014 Honda CRV. Insurance will cover with a 250.00 deductible. Luckily my child was not in the backseat.

40. Lisa Robinson on August 14, 2018 at 7:00 am

This morning my back right window was shattered out in my 2014 Soremto.. I thought this was an act of violence until I educated myself thru this article. Looks like Kia would recall these autos and get better glass… this is such an inconvience..

41. Diana Timms on August 27, 2018 at 8:54 am

The passenger side window on my new Volkswagen exploded whilst I was driving home across a golf course locally. No golfers to be seen, no evidence in car apart from a million small glass fragments. I have had the car one month. Never happened to me before in 60 years of driving. The side mirror was broken. Very scary and so glad no passenger with me that day. Weird unsettling experience, I will need some time to feel confident driving in future.

42. minecraft on September 4, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Good post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Kudos!

43. Obe on December 17, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Dec 17 2018 here got a block down the road from home and the noise scared the bajeebus out of me in my 2015 chev cruz lt

44. Raymond Young on December 25, 2018 at 4:14 am

Company I drive for purchased a 2019 Isuzu 3 ton Box truck with a reefer attached to it. Have driven it two weeks. Sitting in a small town in southern Manitoba preparing to make a delivery. Temps where manageable, low digits Celsius. Temp in truck warm but not hot. The passenger window out of the Blue just lew out…Three thoughts went through my mind, was I just shot at, was someone smashing my window, and WTF just happened! Drivers window was cracked about 2 inches so over pressure would not have been an issue. Scariest moments in my driving career.
    I had no idea this occurs as much as it does…

45. B Mcnab on January 22, 2019 at 10:30 am

Yesterday afternoon (Jan21/19) the rear window on my 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT shattered for no apparent reason while driving in city in Ontario Canada, nothing could have hit it. Outside temp was about -15 C (or +5 F). We had been driving around on various errands. Rear defrost was off. Car well warmed up inside. No previous crack or chips. Only explanation I can see is manufacturer failure that could not withstand reasonable temperature differential between inside and out. Took it to my regular Hyundai dealership immediately and insisted they fix it under warranty as it was a manufacturing fault. They refused. I insisted they ask higher up the Hyundai chain of command. I said in mean time please order the new rear windshield and we will fight about who pays later. They said “We don’t fix windshields at dealership service. You ned to go to an auto glass place and insisted they order the glass from Hyundai”. I did that. The glass guy look and said looked like temperature differential failure to him. Phoned my insurance, they said sounded like temperature differential failure to them that should be under warranty. If I put through an insurance claim it will count as a claim and my insurance will go up. They suggested I contact “OMVIC Ontario Motor Vehicle Sales Regulator” to report Hyundai failure to honour warranty. I am in process of getting more info on that in case Hyundai’s higher office refuses to pay. I note on another web example they suggestion to report the rear windshield failure “Transport Canada” as they will want stats on windshield failures as a safety defect.

46. Gayle Vannover on March 12, 2019 at 1:00 am

woh I like your articles, saved to fav! .

47. Mya Rose on March 13, 2019 at 4:11 pm

My 2018 Rav 4 back glass shattered. I am glad I found this site because this really creeped me out! It was about 35 degrees outside. I had just got in and BAM! Wow just WOW!

• Adventure Autoglass on March 15, 2019 at 11:12 am

I know! It’s one of those weird crazy science things that just takes us by surprise! Hopefully it only happens this one time, but you’ll be more the wiser if it happens again.

48. Cindy on May 27, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Just had my passenger window in my 2015 explode. Driving the road and heard a large pop and it blew out. Weirdest thing.

49. Carol Stephen on September 24, 2019 at 3:38 pm

I had my windshield shatter one time (it was a CRV), but I know it had a hole in it, so there’s that. I wonder if with higher temperatures and global warming there will be more auto glass exploding? What do you think? Thanks for the interesting post!

• Adventure Autoglass on September 25, 2019 at 10:35 am

Scary stuff but a hole will do it! I am not sure if climate change will affect windshields THAT much. The temp changes in those climate change estimates tend to be less dramatic than what it takes to split out a chip or cause an explosion, but you never know what could happen. Beachfront property in AZ could be neat tho!

50. Slav on September 29, 2019 at 5:25 pm

The passenger side window of my car unexpectedly exploded today in morning when I started the engine of my vehicle.

51. Trix on December 6, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Ok so this is going to sound totally crazy buuuut… my vans rear window exploded this morning as my stepson closed the side door. We live in the middle of nowhere on a private drive and no glass was inside the van so it wasn’t hit by anything/one. I feel it had already shattered during the night and only fallen out when he slammed the door! So heres the crazy bit… could it have shattered during last nights mini earthquake? if like you say it had already been invisibility stressed in the past? It was definitely not broken when i got home last night! Hehe thanks!

• Adventure Autoglass on December 9, 2019 at 10:50 am

Yes, the earthquake certainly could have caused the glass to shatter in the night had there been underlying glass stress. It equally could have been the temperature changes from night to morning or even just the “final straw” for the glass. Regardless, since the windshield randomly shattered like that, it was likely bound to happen at some point whether it was someone else closing the door, an earthquake, temperature changed, or even regular driving. Glass, without invisible stress, shouldn’t shatter or break from anything minor, like slamming the door…unless MAYBE your stepson is Lou Ferrigno, in which case we need an autograph! Thanks for stopping by Trix!